Friday, January 1, 2016

Pathways

A new year, a new beginning. . .



 Just like everyday is a new page. Wiped clean. We can start over.



It's not only about how we feel, but it's also what we do about that feeling. We can be depressed and wallow in self-pity, or we can get up, get out, and do something. We're not limited to our physical capabilities, but we can expand our mental capabilities as well. If we can't get out, we can read, explore the vast Internet, or call a friend.



When I was a young adolescent, I can remember my parents explaining to me that they taught me right from wrong and it was up to me what pathway I chose to follow. And, as a parent, one of the hardest things for me to accept was the fact that my children, in their teens, were forming their own beliefs and creeds. I wanted and expected them to believe what I believed and practice those beliefs the way I practiced them. Well, that wasn't to be. They have their own thoughts and beliefs as adults and I respect that.



The paths that some of us follow are not always the short-cuts that we'd like them to be. Some have to struggle financially, physically. Some are dealing with discrimination. Some are experiencing the loss of a loved one.



Some pathways lead us to a friend's house, where we can enjoy the company of a neighbor, Sometimes we just need to have someone listen to us and be there for us. And it might be you that that someone is seeking out. And then the tables may change and we have to be the listener.


Sometimes along that path we might come across roadblocks, or



There might be obstacles in your path. . .


or encounter new friends along the way.



Other times we might have to take an alternate route.



And along the way signs to point us in the right direction



or disclose some hazards ahead.


Or sometimes you just might be out of control. . .



And several times we find ourselves going in circles. . .




There will be beautiful views along that path. . .








We never know what a new year will bring for us. I hope you see the beauty in all that comes your way in the upcoming year, and may you always choose the right path that leads you where you need to be.

Sending good health, 
peace, happiness, 
and blessings to you in 2016! 

Thanks for stopping by. 
Feel free to leave a comment~

18 comments:

  1. As always, glad I stopped by Sue - your pictures and encouraging words were very refreshing...Happy New Year to you and Ted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carol. I think of you and Norm often, and so glad we were able to get together the last time you were in the area. And Happy New Year to you and Norm!

      Delete
  2. Same wishes back to you for the new year, Sue. Very pretty and peaceful images to start the New Year. Have a great one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. I hope this year will be an improvement for you than this past year with your medical issues. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to have to scale back the work that you love to do, and do so well. I so enjoy your blog posts and the information you share. You are so knowledgeable in so many subjects and are an inspiration to me. And on a side note, because of you, I have been encouraged to take my photography more serious. Thank you, and Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  3. Love the way your story corresponds with each picture (and I love the picture of the deer on the path...is that at your cottage?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise. I wasn't sure how it was all going to go together. I had some ideas and I was writing them down. And I was thinking of some photos that I thought would work. And after I uploaded my photos, I still had room for a few more so I went through some from a year ago that I though would fit. And then when I composed it, it all seemed to work.
      And yes, the picture of the deer was taken at our cottage. I was out for a walk (by myself), and when I went around the corner he was standing on the side of the road. I was glad that he posed for a few pictures for me.
      Happy New Year to you, Egon, Alana, and all the rest of our family in Niagara Falls! Love you guys!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year Susan and Ted. Thank you for your beautiful pictures and good thoughts. I especially enjoyed the picture of the church in the snow. Always one of my favorite subjects. God Speed.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay! And Happy New Year to you and Mike. I'm glad you enjoyed the blog post. The church in the snow was taken last year, here, in Mexico, NY. It's our local First Presbyterian Church.
      Best wishes to you and your family for a wonderful new year!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful prose and narrative Sue. I hope this New Year finds you and Ted healthy and that you will achieve your dream of "taking photography serious" because you're almost there! Love the photo of the church in the snow....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm...I meant "beautiful photos and narrative"...doh...

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Ann. I appreciate that. Hope you have a great year, too. You've been so busy with your new place and gardening that I'm looking forward to more of your blog posts and gardening updates.
      I got a new-to-me camera right before Christmas (DSLR) and I have no idea how to use it. So that should keep me busy for awhile.
      The church in the snow is one of our local churches in the Village of Mexico, NY. Luckily, Ted & I went out last year around the community to get some photos because this year we had a green Christmas.

      Delete
  6. Lovely blog and thoughts for 2016! Sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, CJ. I'm glad you liked it and thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful 2016!

      Delete
  7. Lovely blog and thoughts for 2016! Sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful images to start the New Year...wishing you all the best in this New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Donna. And same to you in 2016 as well. Maybe this will be the year we have a chance to get together and visit each other. That would be fun!

      Delete
  9. Such a beautiful post to start the new year Susan. Wishing you all the best in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lee. And the same to you as well. It looks like we might have a mild winter after all in the Northeast. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete